Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Travel Protection Plan

Someone might ask, Why do I need Travel Insurance? I was one of those people and I know this because I was the one traveling to Europe this past December and early January without Travel Insurance. I know right probably not the smartest decision but I was young and it was only a short trip, 10 days! I did not want to bother the extra money when I could use that extra money for shopping!

Here is my opinion on buying Insurance or extended warranty. Its like when you buy extended warranty for your I pod, I phone, Laptop - Is it really necessary? I think to myself because if anything would happen it would happen within the year of buying that I pod and that one year warranty is already covered so why the extra warranty.

But I know that is getting off topic because Travel Insurance is nothing like extended warranty for electronics you purchase. You are spending a lot more money for your trips, and time. I should have bought Travel Insurance right. Although traveling within Canada and the United States I would not bother because if it is totally out of your control and if you booked directly with the airline then the airline will do what they can, well they are more inclined to help. Like put you up in a hotel, free of cost for the night until you can get a flight home.

For example, my parents went down to the united states to visit my mothers folks, and when they were flying home they were late taking off in Baton Rouge, Louisiana so by the time they got to Houston, Texas they had missed their connection - But since they booked through a third party the airline is not obligated to help. The only reason the airline put them up for the night because they kept getting bumped back and forth from each ticket counter. Continental ticket counter said oh we can't help you because you have United Airline Tickets so they would go back and forth - Even though everyone knew they were one company. They could see they were getting bumped back and forth so the airline put them up in a hotel for the night free of cost. But that is very rare that the Airline will do such thing to help out stranded passengers - the circumstances has to be extreme for them to do anything.

Summaries of some travel protection plans that I have researched - It helps to get three quotes of a similar product to make a educated, best decision. That way you are not taken advantage of and you know for yourself what you are getting and not just relying on your Travel Agent to get the best deal. Be invested in your Travel plans as well and do not leave it all to a Travel Agent to handle, work with you Travel Agent. At the end of the day they are only there to make money and it is up to you to look after you!

What made me change my mind about Travel Insurance - well the fact that i will be traveling to the middle east. Yes, Egypt! not the place the you want to go to if you are an american or without Travel Insurance. Traveling teaches you to be aware of global political situations, opens your mind to new possibilities and gains your self confidence and courage. Especially if you are traveling across the Atlantic ocean to meet up friends you have yet to meet, Contiki Holidays bringing the world together one friend at a time.

AMA - Premium Package Plan $219.00 + Tax
  • Emergency hospital and/or medical services - (up to 5,000,000)
  • Flight Accident - (up to 100,000)
  • Other Travel Accident - (up to 50,000)
  • Baggage and personal effects - (up to 1,500)
  • Trip Cancellation - Sum insured
  • Trip Interruption, prepared Travel arrangements - (unlimited)
  • Trip Interruption, Return Airfare - (unlimited)
  • Trip Delay - (up to 2,500)
  • Concierge service - (included)
  • Stand by MD - (included)  
Uniglobe/ RBC - Deluxe Package $240.00 + Tax
  • Cancellations & Interruption Insurance
  • Loss, Damage or delay and personal effects
  • Emergency medical insurance
  • Flight accident Insurance
  • Travel accident Insurance
Contiki Holidays Travel Protection Plan - Trips less than $2,000: $129 per person and Trips $2,000 or greater: $169 a person + Tax.
  • Travel Arrangement Protection (Section I)
  • Trip Cancellation: Up to Total Cost
  • The Contiki Holidays "Any reason" Cancellation Waiver**.
  • Trip Interruption: Up to Total Trip Cost
  • Trip Delay: Up to C$1,000 (C$150/Day)
  • Travel Insurance Benefits (Section II)
  • Baggage protection: up to C$2,500
  • Bag Delay: up to C$500
  • Medical & Dental Expenses: Up to C$1,000,000**
  • Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation: Up to C$50,000
  • Emergency Assistance Services (Section III)
Which one will I go with? Is it that obvious or am I, ha ha!.... Contiki Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment